Sunday, April 27, 2014

School Year Wrapping Down....Wait, What?!

I have always heard the phrase "Enjoy it now, it goes fast." They were right about high school and college. And now, they are right about teaching. I can hardly believe that in 19 school days I will have completed my first year of teaching. There have been many highs and lows- but overall, it has been an absolute blast.  It doesn't seem possible that it is already almost the end of April. I guess that when you really do like your job time does fly. 

I can think back to that very first day of class...I was pretty darn scared when I walked in the door for my first hour class. Sure, you have four years of classes that you have learned all the theories and strategies..but here it was, my own classroom.  I had felt like student teaching had me ready for my own room but I found that there were many things that I had not thought of. Luckily, my mom was able to help me with many different ideas and suggestions (it helps to have a mom that has taught for 30+ years). 

I still find myself trying out new and different ideas- mainly because I can't seem to find the perfect way to do everything. Some of the things that I have tried have completely failed. I think that showing students that it is okay to have something go wrong and have something backfire is important. They need to understand that not everything in their life is going to go as planned...and that is okay, it is to be expected and embraced.

Between teaching 6th and 7th graders and coaching three sports, I have been able to interact with hundreds of different students this year.  I think that this has also helped to have the school year fly by. There weren't a whole lot of nights that were empty from a practice or game. Staying busy is a good thing, and it helped me to connect with students in a setting outside of an English classroom. I heard from other teachers that the years will fly by and all of a sudden I will have 30 years of teaching experience under my belt. To be quite honest, I thought that they were crazy. Now, after only one year, I can completely see where they are coming from. 

I wish that I would have started this blog earlier- like I had intended to. However, I still think that it is a good sounding board for ideas and thoughts. I see that some people actually even take a look at it (I swear I didn't even have to pay them!). Hopefully I can give someone an idea, a laugh, or a mocking jeer at some point throughout this process.

All feedback is appreciated! Enjoy this coming week- make a difference! 

No comments:

Post a Comment