I have long been convinced that there is one thing that is at the heart of 99% of the world's problems..and I am slowly becoming more and more sure that I am, in fact, correct. Insecurity.
Now, I realize that at first that may seem to be a little bit silly- and I have to agree with you. However, the more years that I have pondered this theory and applied it to life situations, the more that I have realized that the shoe keeps fitting.
99% of the bullying that takes place is because of someone who does not fit the "media perception of cool, popular, (insert your own adjective here)". These people in turn want to feel as though they are "worthy" and they take out that anger on someone else. I have been watching this all year long, and it had fit in so many different situations. Insecurity is what drives us to buy a new car- even though we can't afford it, or to put an edition on our house, because the neighbors did, or to buy those cool new Lebron XLL's that just came out last week for the upcoming basketball season. These are all rooted in the same idea- we as humans, are insecure. Granted, that is a blanket statement and does not apply to all people. However, a majority of people do seem to fall into that group. I, too, am guilty of it. It may not even be something that we are consciously thinking about. We don't realize that what is driving our actions is insecurity, or wanting to fit in- but it is.
Even take the "outcast" group in society. They claim that they want to be different and that they want to stand out. What do they do? They find a group of people that are just like them to hang out with. Their difference again brings them back to a norm and a group. We don't like to feel insecure. We want to be with people that we fit in with, with people that are going to not judge and look down at us, and when are with those people, we end up passing that on to someone else- even if it is not intentional.
As I said earlier, the media multiplies this effect 100x over with their ads and commercials. We are constantly shown what we should look like, eat, wear, drive, drink, sleep on, watch on weekends, and every other aspect of our life. We see these people that are "happy" and we envy that. We want that. Even if it is very, very low in our subconscious, we do. From a very young age we are taking all of this in and realizing that we are not able to stack up to this "media created perfect person". We see that we are not perfect and we want to make sure that we realize we aren't the only ones.
This post has not come out very succinct and easy to follow- but if you have read the other ones, that should come as no surprise to you. I use this simply as a place to throw ideas out and hope that maybe somebody can relate. Which bring me to my last point. A very sincere thank you to everyone that has been reading and following my blog through this first week. I know that it has been rough, but I am hoping that I will get this whole thing figured out the more that I do it. It is kind of a scary idea to be putting my ideas out to the world for all to see. Then again, it is kind of a fun "rush" too.
Enjoy your Easter weekend with family, friends, and loved ones!!
No comments:
Post a Comment